Sports Related Injuries
Tearing of fibres in tendons (connect muscles to bones) causing inflammation, soreness and pain, usually caused by injury of overuse. Achilles tendon in heel is particularly vulnerable, as are tendons in elbows, causing tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow.
To be taken 4 times daily for up to 7 days. Start with 6c potency
- Tearing pain aggravated by rest, movement or damp weather, wears off with continued movement – Rhus Tox
- Tearing pain, lameness affected ankle feels bruised and broken – Ruta grav.
Over-strenuous or unaccustomed exercise can tear individual muscle fibres, causing internal bleeding and swelling, and immediate pain and stiffness as muscle contracts.
- Immediately after injury – Arnica 30c every hour for up to 6 doses, then 4 times daily
- If pain persists after course of Arnica – Rhus tox 6c, 4 times daily for up to 7 days.
Acute discomfort caused by muscles going into spasm (violent, uncontrollable contraction) because of shortage of oxygen and buildup of lactic acid, prolonged sitting or standing, lying in an awkward position, strenuous or unaccustomed exercise and pregnancy are the most common causes of cramp. Occasionally cramp can be a symptom of sodium deficiency caused by excessive sweating while exercising, working in extreme hear or taking sauna. If cramp occurs frequently and if you have a nervous tick say on eye lid then think Magnesium deficiency and sometimes Calcium deficiency.
To be taken every 5 minutes for up to 6 doses
· Severe cramps mainly in feet or legs, cramp begins with twitching of muscles – Cuprum 6c
· Cramps accompanied by headache, loss of appetite, nausea and constipation, often worse at night Nux vom 6c
· Cramp that comes on as a result of fatigue – Arnica 30c
· Cramp in someone who is overweight, flabby, pale, chilly and prone to head sweats – Calc carb 6c
· Cramp in calves, feet feel icy cold – Camphora 6c
· Cramp in calves, alleviated by massage but made worse by walking about, recent diarrhea and vomiting – Veratrum 6c
· Cramp in thigh or legs – Chamomilla 6c
As a preventative against cramp at night, take Cuprum ars 6c at bedtime for 2 weeks.
Specific remedy following injury – Arnica 30c every hour for up to 48 hours, then 4 times daily for up to 4 days.
Other remedies to be taken as alternative to Arnica
- If arnica does not produce improvement after 48 hours – Bellis 6c
- Ankle injury, bruising kind of pain in ankle bones – Ruta 6c
- Ankle injury, pain in ankle feels like rheumatism and becomes more insistent with rest but wears off with gentle movement – Rhus tox 6c
The knee is highly susceptible to twisting injuries, sprains and strains. It is subject to inflammatory joint diseases, including synovitis, bursitis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Other conditions can affect the kneecap (chondromalacia) and the tendon attachments (osteochondrosis)
Remedies can be taken in 6,12 or 30c potencies, 3 or more times daily, depending on severity of symptoms for days to weeks.
- Stitching pain when walking, red, hot swollen, tender, inflamed joints. Painful, stiff tense knees, knee cramps when sitting. Weakness in knees. Sprains, acute arthritis. Weak in knees. Worse least motion, am, 9pm - Bryonia
- Tearing, burning pain, as if sprained, tension tightness in hollow of knee. Hamstring and tendon contraction, stiff with need to stretch, restlessness. Painful, cracking when walking. Worse: cold, dry weather, exertion, 1st motion, walking, open air, evening 3-4 am, Better: dampness, warmth – Causticum
- Tearing, sore pains. Stiff, tense, contraction of tendons. Trembling legs. Swollen joints, pale and cold to touch, cracking in joints. Nodosities. Weakness, trembling in knees. Cramps in calves. Worse:motion, walking, night, heat of the bed, evening touch. Better: cold compresses, rubbing – Ledum
- Tearing, aching knee pain in evening, nights; radiates into right foot. Heat, swelling,, stiffness, cramps. Perspiration of knee. Arthritis, nodosities. Worse: right side, touch, rest, first motion, morning on rising, 4-8 pm, walking. Better: cold applications, open air, continued motion – Lycopodium
- Aching, drawing or gnawing pains, feels as if bandaged. Chronic swelling. Contraction, tension in tendons. Knees “catch”. Pain or herpes in hollow of knee. Joints cracking, weak, weary, trembling knees. Feet fall asleep. Cold legs and knees. Worse am, heat, motion, sitting, 4pm, night – Nat mur
- Tearing shooting knee pains with jerking of muscles. Changeable location and type of pains; appear suddenly, build up, let go with a snap. Swollen, hot, pale or red joint. Heavy trembling, cracking, stiff, restless. Worse: heat, evening, first motion. Better: cold, gentle motion, open air – Pulsatilla
- Tearing, drawing pains, burning, sore. Acute or chronic swelling, lame. Tendons feel shortened. Cramps and tension. Great stiffness, very restless. Effects of dampness, chilling old sprains, arthritis. Cracking, weak joints. Worse: first motion after rest, damp, cold. Better: limbering up, heat – Rhus tox
Nerve pain caused by compression of, or pressure on sciatic nerve supplying leg, can be caused by prolapsed disc or disc degeneration, by osteoarthritis, or by ankylosing spondylitis.
To be taken every hour for up to 10 doses, or every 30 mins if pain is acute. Start with 6c potency.
- Pain shoots down right leg to foot, causing occasional numbness and weakness, pain seems worse in cold or damp weather – Colocynth
- Pain worse when sitting, difficulty straightening knee of affected leg because hamstring has shortened, pain wears off when walking, ling down or sleeping – Ammonium mur
- Sever pain, numbness and cramps in affected let, made worse by movement, alleviated by rest and sitting down – Gnapbalium
- Tearing pain relieved by heat and movement, but aggravated by inactivity, cold and damp – Rhus tox
- Pain in right leg, aggravated by pressure and lying on right side, most severe between 4 and 8 pm – Lycopodium
- Tearing pains, especially in right leg, bending backward relieves pain but most other movements including sitting up, make pain worse – Dioscorea
- Pain left leg, aggravated by both heat and cold, increasing stiffness and difficulty walking – Carbon sulph
- Burning pains shooting into knee and foot, aggravated by coughing, legs feels itchy, pain especially bad around 3am – Kali Carb
- Lightning like pains in right leg, soothed by heat, aggravated by coughing – Mag phos
- Burning pains especially bad at night, preventing sleep, also bad after rest or as start to walk - Gelsemium